Cinisi is a city located at few kilometres from Palermo It originates from 1383 when the Benedectines from the Monastery of Santa Maria delle Scale were granted the fief of Cinisi.
The city is endowed with both naturalistic and cultural riches. The town is landmarked by a number of towers. The tower-castle, dating prior to the Benedictine's arrival in town, was restored and converted by them into an abbey. Others lookout towers, set along the coast, date back to the second half of the 16th century.
The visit to Cinisi's attractions begins with the Chiesa Madre dedicated to the patron Santa Fara. This, dating from the 17th century, has a single nave embellished with polychrome marble decorations. It contains several works of art such as an altarpiece and a subterranean crypt with numerous tunnels and tombs.